Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Here Come Holidays!

Whoah.

Thanksgiving tomorrow.  Have I really lived in Berlin through September, October, and most of November?  In some ways it feels so normal, but I also continue discovering new things.

For example... Weihnachtsmarkt.  Which means "Christmas Market."  I'd heard so much about how great the Christmas markets in Germany were, but now I've finally experienced one.  And I agree!  In fact, at the market I met a couple from Canada who told me that they traveled all the way to Germany just for the Christmas markets.  (You know how occasionally things are built up so much that on one hand you get really excited about it, but on the other hand you're a little afraid that it won't live up to its purported greatness?  I was worried.  But it totally lived up.)

As soon as possible, I'll post pictures of this.  But for now, a description:

Little stands, draped in Christmas lights, full of goods for sale.  Some of these goods are handcrafted, and sometimes you can even watch the crafting process.  We saw a man cleaning silver jewelry, and another man sawing names out of wood.  Food stands also beckon visitors... things like hot chocolate on a stick, pork sandwiches, roasted nuts, and even soup.  A stage, where various talents are exhibited... juggling, singing, and the like.  And it was cooold... but worth it, because it feels like Christmas!

But, before Christmas comes Thanksgiving!  Though it's not a German holiday, our team will celebrate it, and on Friday we're hosting a Thanksgiving party.  We've invited a bunch of students, and I'm excited to get to share this American holiday with them.  One of the guys on our team is going to roast a puten-- turkey (well... probably more like three or four turkeys!), and the rest of the team will cook various other traditional and non-traditional foods.  I can't wait.

More on Thanksgiving to come...

1 comment:

  1. The Christmas market sounds awesome! Did you buy anything cool? Do they play the same Christmas songs as we do here? It's fun to hear about all of your adventures--love you!

    ReplyDelete